For this experiment, you will be building a mini-greenhouse to investigate how the temperature inside the greenhouse changes when it is exposed to an outside heat source.
Each of you will need the following materials:
- two large glass bottles or jars of the same size (clear glass)
- one piece of plastic wrap (or a recycled plastic bag!)
- one rubber band
- four ice cubes (all the same size)
- two thermometers that will fit inside the bottles (optional)
Your task is to follow the procedure for the investigation then report on your findings in a lab report. Below is the rubric that I will be using to mark your reports. You will be working independently.
- Place two ice cubes and the optional thermometer in each bottle.
- Cover the mouth of one bottle with the plastic and fasten it in place with the rubber band. Leave the other bottle open.
- Place the two bottles side-by-side in a warm, sunny place.
- Observe what happens (see details in the rubric).
- Did one bottle of ice melt faster than the other? Why?
- How are your observations related to the transfer of heat energy? Explain.
- How are your observations related to the greenhouse effect? Explain.