As we are wrapping up our first unit, here is a list of the objectives that we covered so far. You are expected to be able to:
- Determine the number of valence electrons in an element
- Represent atoms using Lewis notation
- Describe the position and electrical charge of the elementary particles in an atom (proton, electron, neutron)
- Represent an atom of a given element using the simplified atomic model
- Define the mole as the unit of measure of the amount of a substance
- Express an amount of a substance in moles
- Define isotopes as atoms of the same element whose nuclei have different numbers of neutrons and therefore different atomic masses
- Explain the concept of relative atomic mass
You can use this as a checklist while you are studying. All of these objectives will be covered on the test.
You will get this Periodic Table on your test, but no formulas. (Note that the Periodic Table and last year’s exam formula sheet are stored in Sakai Resources > Useful Documents).